What's New on the HLC Web Server
Introducing the new HyperLearning Center
The Center for the New Engineer is now the HyperLearning Center. We are
now specializing in Web-based learning methodologies.
- New HLC Web Page Materials
We are pleased to announce the addition of a new tutorial, The
Core of Information Technology, an overview of how a small
number of great ideas of computing have solved
seemingly impossible problems of making computers and the
Check out the
Hyperlearning Meter system, a
distributed, web-based system for self-assessment and testing.
The HyperLearning Center now offers to help you build tutorial modules, configure hyperlearning meters, or learn about web-based learning methodologies. Find out more from our HLC Services page.
In the following pages you will find PERSPECTIVES on
hyperlearning, several STATUS REPORTS, a library of eleven
MODULES, a library of sixteen Java WORKBENCHES, up-to-date
REFRESHER MODULES in Mathematics and Statistics, a prototype of
an ACM PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE PROGRAM module and test, and a
demo of the HYPERLEARNING METER SYSTEM.
Welcome to the HyperLearning Center
- Strategic Vision
- The emerging knowledge society is spelling major changes
for engineering and science education in the 21st century.
- Tutorial Modules
- The HLC library of Internet-accessible
tutorial modules covers seven topics in Computer Science, one in
general engineering, a refresher for high-school math, a
refresher for college introductory statistics, and a professional
These modules are the first
generation of a new class of technologies for supporting
learning by non-linear paths.
- The HLC library of animated, interactive workbenches illustrates
algorithms of computer science.
- Hyperlearning Meter
- This HLC package presents individualized, randomized
self-assessment and certification tests on demand to students or trainees,
and gives immediate feedback to students and instructors.
- HLC Services
- HLC offers to help you build tutorial modules, configure hyperlearning meters, and learn about web-based learning technologies.
- We offer details on our philosophy and perspectives
through various essays and presentation materials.
- HLC has issued a brochure, a newsletter, project status reports, and other articles.
- Many people are working in or with HLC: students, faculty,
school districts, industry organizations, community
organizations, and government sponsoring organizations.
- HLC Laboratory
- The HLC Laboratory facility consists of high-performance
workstations, servers, and PCs.
- Sense 21
- Designing a new engineering common sense for the 21st
- Our status reports outline the achievements of the Center for the
New Engineer our DARPA final report summarizes our programs and
achievements during the time of our DARPA contract from May 1993 through July 1997.
- Magellan 3 Star Site Award
On January 22, 1996, the HyperLearning Center's Web Site was given a 3 Star rating byThe McKinley Group.
The HLC Web Site was evaluated as part of a rigorous process in which three
primary factors are considered: depth of content, ease of
exploration, and Net appeal.
for weekly usage statistics for the HLC Tutorial Modules server.
Please send comments and suggestions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hyper Learning Center
Mail Stop 4A5
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
©Copyright 1994-99 by the HyperLearning Center.
All Rights Reserved.
Please read our
for information on linking to or copying from our server.
Last updated 08/25/99.