Technology and Transformation
WWW, a paradigm of innovation.
Claim of expertise exercise (Dec 2
To see the draft chapters of the innovation book, point
your browser to cne.gmu.edu/pjd/INNOV .
The Real Reasons Why Innovation is not Invention
Interactive Voice Recognition (IVR) systems have become quite
common in business. Businesses like them because they can eliminate
as much as 85% of their call center staff. Customers don't like
them. Enterprising customers who want to talk to a real live
person often have to work hard to get the IVR to connect them.
Paul English has given them a
Some invention are just so
no one would seriously consider adopting them.
Assertions and Assessments.
PJD's sample autobiography.
RDR's sample autobiography.
Notes on Drucker Book.
Map of 7 Foundational Practices.
Map of 8th Foundational Practice.
Map of Rogers' Innovation Process.
Notes on Rogers' Diffusion Model.
Independence, interpreted by Chauncey Bell, who says: "No vision
or mission statement. Well crafted declaration of interpretation
about who we are. Well crafted complaint. Well crafted declaration
IT Profession Columns
- Denning, Peter. "Who are we?" ACM Communications, February
2001, 15-19. Download
- Denning, Peter. "Flatlined". ACM Communications, June
2002, 15-19. Download
- Denning, Peter. "Career redux." ACM Communications,
September 2002, 21-26. Download
- Denning, Peter and Robert Dunham.
"The Missing Customer." ACM Communications, March 2003, 19-23. Download
- Denning, Peter. "Accomplishment." ACM Communications,
July 2003, 19-23. Download
- Denning, Peter. "The Social Life of Innovation." ACM Communications,
April 2004, 19-24. Download
- Denning, Peter. "Building a Culture of Innovation." ACM Ubiquity,
April 2004, Vol 5, No 8. Download
- Denning, Peter. "Network Laws." ACM Communications,
November 2004. Download
- Denning, Peter. "Is Computer Science Science?" ACM Communications,
April 2005. Download
- Arbinger Institute. Leadership and Self-Deception. Berrett-Koehler,
- Berners-Lee, Tim. 2000. Weaving the Web. Harper
- Christensen, Clayton. The Innovator's Dilemma. Harvard Business,
- Clark, Vern ADM. 2002. "Sea Power 21: Operational Concepts for
a New Era." NWC Speech 6/12/2002.
- Clarke, Arthur. 1953. "Superiority", a short story from the book
Expedition to Earth. Ballantine Books. Download PDF.
- Denning, Peter and Pamela Dargan. "Action Centered Design". In
Bringing Design to Software, T. Winograd, ed., Addison-Wesley,
1994. Download PDF.
- Drucker, Peter. Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Harper Business,
- Drucker, Peter. "Managing Oneself." Harvard Business Review
(March-April 1999), 65-74.
- Harvey, Jerry. The Abilene Paradox. Jossey-Bass. 1993.
- Heckler, Richard Strozzi, PhD. "Center". In Holding the Center,
Frog, Ltd., 1997.
- Heckler, Richard Strozzi, PhD. "Conditioned tendency." In
Anatomy of Change, North Atlantic Books, 1993.
- Hughes, Wayne. "Trends and constraints of technology." In Fleet
Tactics and Coastal Combat, US Naval Institute, 2nd ed., 1999.
- Komarow, Steven. "Unexpected Insurgency Changed Way of War." In USA
Today (March 20, 2005), p17.
- Massey, Kenneth. A former top executive at Cemex who produced
fundamental changes in delivery and logistics of cement writes about
supply networks (Download PDF)
and about transformation of Chile's Army (Download PDF). The new more efficient
ways to handle logistics require a new kind of thinking in the Army.
- McKee, Robert. "Storytelling that moves people." Harvard
Business Review (June 2003), 51-55. Supports the envisioning
practice (Practice 2).
- McKinsey, Inc. "Illuminating the Blind Spot: Leadership in the
Context of Emerging Worlds." McKinsey working document.
- Moore, Geoffrey. Crossing the Chasm. Harper Business
- Rogers, Everett. Diffusion of Innovations. 5th Ed.
Free Press, 2003.
- Sims, William S. (1) Elton Morison's summary of Sims's push for
continuous-aim gunnery (Download PDF).
(2) Johnson's overview of innovation in the same era as Sims, with
comments about other innovators, about Sims himself, and about Naval
innovation after World War I (Download
PDF). (3) A collection of Sims's letters and papers (Download PDF).
- Tsichritzis, Dennis. "The dynamics of innovation." In Beyond
Calculation: The Next 50 Years of Computing (P. Denning, ed.),
Copernicus Books, 1997.
- Wired Magazine, June 2004. The international free-for-all over
software piracy and intellectual property protection.
(1) World Map of Pirates and Protectors.
(2) Status of Open Software.
- Yager, Tom. "Innovate, or Take a Walk." Infoworld,
April 19, 2004, p69. Download PDF.